September 1, 2010

Roasted Red Pepper Salad


Last weekend while at the farmers market, I couldn't help but notice all of the beautiful peppers. It inspired me to whip up a fresh, fun salad. I have been trying to keep my diet light. I find I have more energy when I eat less carbs. I am a true pasta-holic. And I need to stop!

Step One: Take your peppers and peel off all label. If you're shopping at a farmers market, there won't be any. Turn on your gas burner and place the better on the grate. Make sure to flip them around once and a while Do this until you have a nice bit of color on your peppers.

Step Two: Place roasted peppers in a bowl and cover with saran wrap. This will loosen the skin and make it super easy to peel later on!

Step Three: Chop up some romaine lettuce, julienne some fennel, and mix in some fresh corn.

Step Four: Place the juice of 2 or 3 lemons in the bottom of a bowl. Add salt and pepper. Wisk in one egg yolk, and a touch of honey. The egg yolk will help emulsify your dressing and make it uber creamy. Yum! Then slowly add olive oil. Probably a cup maybe a little more. Taste, taste, taste as you go! 

Step Five: Once your dressing is done, go back to your peppers. Uncover the bowl and peel the skin off of the outside. Then, cut the tops off and de-seed the pepper. After all the seeds are gone, you can cut the peppers up into little squares.

Step Six: In a large salad bowl mix the romaine, fennel, peppers, and corn. Top with some feta cheese and maybe a few pine nuts!

Step Seven: Dress as you wish!

Happy Eating Lovies!!

xoxo-
shawni love

1 comment:

  1. Yummmm...but remember, if you cheat on pasta it will cheat on you! (I dont know what that means, but carbs = bliss) So yeah, dont stop eating 'em. But this looks AMAZINGLY yummy. I've been ogling the peppers at my farmers market too...I might make stuffed bell peppers, I haven't done that in ages. Anywho, adding your button to my blogy blog!
    <3

    ReplyDelete